Old Hall Farm, at 19 Barnston Lane, Moreton, has a house plate W inscribed D M the initials standing for Daniel and Mary Wilson 1719.(right) Daniel Wilson was one of the sons of Robert Wilson of Bidston Hall.“ Robert Wilson was a Presbyterian,“ and in I672 his house was licensed as a place for religious meetings.“ Towards the end of the reign of Charles II a troop of horse searched Bidston Hall for arms, and there or at other places in the district seized 122 guns, pistols, etc.” At this time Daniel Wilson would be a youth of seventeen, for he was christened at Bidston on 11th  ]uly 1666.

Barnston Lane was originally Chapel Lane

2013 image
He obtained a license on 15th September, 1688, to marry Mary Ensdale of Meols, and the baptism of his first child, Robert, took place on 18th August, 1689. The entry in the Bidston Register giving the latter piece of information is made in a different hand-writing along the margin of the page, evidently at a later date, and according to W. F. Irvine, ‘The explanation is probably that since Daniel Wilson was at this time a Presbyterian he had his children baptised at the Chapel in Upton, but after his father’s death in 1697 he conformed to the Establishment and entered the dates of the births of his children in the Register with his own hand.“ Confirmation of this theory is to be found in the fact that although Daniel’s father left £5 to the poor of Bidston by his will of 1697 the money was not paid to the churchwarden by Daniel and his brother until 3rd March, 1708.

In the Bidston Register for the year 1689 Daniel Wilson is described as ‘of Lingham. Later he moved into Moreton Village and built himself the house in Barnston Lane.

The oldest parts of this house, judging by the thickness of the walls, appear to be the
section against the road, the wing at right angles to this, and the part which in former days was probably the barn. One of the oak beams in an upstairs room seems to have come from a building of wattle and daub construction. This building may have been the original one on the site.
Daniel Wilson’s father, Robert, died in 1697 and left Daniel amongst other property a share in two mills, one being Bidston Mill. (below) Daniel’s mother, Ellen, by her will of the year 1703, gave to her daughter Hannah three cows, and if any of them be not of profit for the pail then Daniel and his brothers had to replace them. As for Daniel, he was to have the big new bed and the two boulsters that are in the Wainscot Chamber, a watch, some silver spoons and a pair of best large flaxen sheets.

In his own will, dated 21st November, I737, Daniel Wilson is referred to as a husbandman. He left two acres of land in Saughan New Carr to his son Jeremiah. Four other fields known as the Two Guffits Ovens, Holmsich and Marled Heaps, were to be sold to pay his debts. The residue of his estate at Moreton he gave to his grandson, Thomas, who would probably become, therefore, the next owner of the house in Barnston Lane. Thomas Wilson’s name appears very infrequently in the records. He is mentioned in the Moreton list of those who paid Land Tax in 1765.“ In his will bearing the date 11th March 1776 he arranged for the sale of Two Pasture Gates which were his share of  land enclosed at Moreton.

He added, however, that should the encroachment of the sea make this impossible another field was to be substituted. He gave a shilling apiece to the poor of Moreton and directed that at his funeral he should be carried by twelve men who were to have two shillings each for their trouble. Thomas Wilson seems to have been a man of some culture, for amongst his possessions were three books: Matthews Exposition of the Pentateuch, Salmon’s History of the World, and Stackhouse’s History of the Bible.

Thomas Wilson did not leave any children, so that his property at Moreton passed to his sister Gatharine Gardener thus severing the connection between the house in Barnston Lane and the name of Wilson.

Bidston Mill (left) once part owned by Daniel Wilson

This image Sept 2009
Old Hall Farm is still standing at 19 Barnston Lane and now houses offices. Sadly it cannot be listed as unauthorised modernisation and changes were conducted in the past, negating any chance of being listed and preserved any further.

Inside it boasts a Tudor style grate and Jacobean ceiling, Further additions had been added at a later date.

Image: Tony Franks-Buckley April 2015
In this painting of The Farmers Arms, Chapel Lane (now Barnston Lane) clearly visible in the rear is Old Hall Farm.
Chapel Lane, later Barnston Lane (right) Showing Old Hall Farm.
Garden Lane runs off to the right